Are you on a mission this year?
If you haven't taken the leap to start freelance writing yet, what's been holding you back? This isn't meant to be a rhetorical question – I'm legit asking you to answer.
Think about it for a minute, look at my list of “whys” below, and whisper or speak out loud (yes, OUT LOUD) the ones that sound like you:
- I don't know how to get started as a freelance writer.
- I don't have a freelance writing website.
- I'm embarrassed by my LinkedIn profile.
- I don't know how to build a portfolio.
- I have content I can use for a portfolio but I don't know how to, you know, make a freelance writing portfolio.
- I don't want to tell (or I'm afraid to tell) people I know that I'm a freelance writer.
- I don't want my job to know I'm side hustling.
- I don't feel like I have the right skills or talents to be a freelance writer.
- I don't know where I can find paid writing opportunities.
- I don't know how to apply for freelance writing gigs.
- I don't know where to find clients.
- I'm afraid of “cold calling” and pitching to businesses.
- I don't know how to run a business.
- I don't want to worry about how my taxes will change if I'm even partially self-employed.
- I don't know how to market myself.
- I don't know what options I have as a freelance writer.
- I don't have time to devote to working more.
- My friends and family don't understand why I want to start a side hustle or full-time business.
Girl, these are just excuses brought on by imposter syndrome. And you're not alone.
Find the Tiger in You
In the Chinese zodiac, 2022 is the year of the tiger. Now, I don't consider myself to be especially superstitious, but I kind of love embracing some woo-woo stuff every now and then.
And this is one of those times.
I was recently googling to find what “the year of the tiger” is supposed to mean for all us mere mortals. And I found something really encouraging from digital lifestyle brand and magazine, Pure Wow:
“The Year of the Tiger will be about making big changes. This will be a year of risk-taking and adventure. We’re finding enthusiasm again, both for ourselves and for others.”
2022 is your year to channel your inner Katy Perry and roar.
Ignore those things your brain keeps telling you are reasons why you can't get started.
Because you can. You just have to start. Take one step. Do the opposite of what you spoke out loud above:
Revamp your Linkedin profile.
Check out my list of surprising places to find freelance writing work.
Download my ebook to learn more about what you need to do to get started.
Pitch ideas for personal essays to publications you read often.
Heck, sign up for my email list! Let's be friends. I understand all the things that go with taking a leap and starting a business… and having friends and family who just don't get it.
I believe this is our year. Let's make it so.
How to Start a Freelance Writing Hustle This Weekend
Have lofty, wanderlust-y or romanticized dreams of sipping hot drinks from mugs in cafes while sitting in front of a shiny, new MacBook? I can't help you with all of that, but I can help you get a jumpstart on your own freelance writing hustle. Download my ebook for a step-by-step playbook and get started this weekend!